Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Preemptive Strikes

Sooo... remember a while back I told you guys that I entered a poetry contest and didnt win. Well, actually. I assumed I didnt win because I hadnt heard anything from the committee either way and I figured the time of announcing the winners had come and gone. Yesterday, I got a letter in the mail from them... I did win. I was one of 3 winners, in fact, and we get to split a $1000 cash prize. I think the negative energy of days past collided with the new positive inner monologue and this wonderful surprise came my way. Either that, or I just write good poems. Who knows? It actually could be a case of only 3 writers submitted work. But I'll take it. And I'll go to the Ye Old Tavern in the sticks, where they are holding the award dinner in October and claim my prize and read my poems.

The best part was that my mom, sister and M were very proud of me. I felt a real sense of validation. Esp. because my mom and sister dont understand poetry. And to them, I think the biggest thing was the money, but it also meant that when I talked about being a writer back in the day, there was some merit to that.

Today's HOTNESS Report: I also got the new ELLE magazine yesterday and took it with me while Murph went fishing. I was elated. JUST ELATED. The fall issues usually are stuffed with new fall ads with new fall designs and new fall ideas... and this one did not disappoint. Let's just start at the very top. D&G KILLED IT. KILLED!!!!! IT!!!!!! And I just dropped my jaw in amazement... the Victorian ad? FUCKING GENUIS. So disturbing but truly amazing all in one shot. And then we had Burberry... with Kate and a bunch of young men and she is in the most beautiful black party dress! FANTASTIC! But let's be honest... when Kate is the face of 9 out of 10 designers... its so BORING. Cmon. Use DARIA more! I cant get enough of her... and Versace used her and Kate and Christy Turlington and Caroline Murphy... and a few other girls that I cant remember. But that's hot stuff. Then we had CHLOE. WTF. Seriously? They got it all WRONG. Wrong, wrong, wrong... turbans on models who look dressed like an over emphasized Oliver Twist in the middle of the Sahara? Are you people BLIND? And Marc Jacobs? I love you but I dont love Jennifer Jason Leigh's ankles in raggedty boots and layers. DONT. LOVE. IT. AT. ALL. Calvin Klein? You can do better... enough with the 80s-esque backgrounds. AHH.

I'm bringing it to Montauk to show you, K. And to read the feature on Lindsay Lohan. Seriously. Girl is crazy, but she facinates me.

So thats about it for now. I have tons of work to do before I leave here on Thursday. I'm out Monday, as well, which I keep forgetting. And I'm working on a serious grant. I've done a few before but this one is a biggie. Wish me luck.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

CONGRADULATIONS!!! I want to read the poem. Good luck on the grant.

Anonymous said...

Holy crap! congrats! Money in writing, who'da thunk?