Thursday, April 17, 2008

Daily Dose/Top Ten

10. Overheard on my mom’s porch on Saturday: “I forgot what my forearms looked like! They’re awesome!”

9. After dinner yesterday, I took Murph for a walk in the back woods near the house. He kept perking his ears up, listening intently, staring ahead of us. And seeing as how last weekend, he scared two giant wild turkeys almost directly flying into my face (those things are fucking HUGE) to get away, I just assumed he was on their trail again. However, this time, as I waited and heard him chasing something around a group of trees and brush, out popped – not a turkey, not Murph – but a deer! It was so beautiful and since Murph was pushing it right at me (why must he does this?), I flinched and it saw me and turned but not until it was about 10-15 feet away. It looked small, but pregnant. It had a heavy stomach and was running pretty slow and confusedly. I typically let Murph run after wild animals when he catches something off guard because its good exercise for him and there is not a chance in hell he’ll actually catch something (ok – except that damn snowshoe hare that I swear was sick to begin with), but this time, I felt bad. The deer was running pretty slow and careful – for a deer. So I called him off the pursuit and we watched it go. It was so beautiful, I teared up. Sometimes nature just does something to me.

8. Today’s new shopping list: long sleeve boyfriend black cardigan sweater, 5 or 6 acres of land in Hardwick, metallic gladiator sandals similar to these since I would never actually buy these, L.L. Bean classic navy tote with my initials (but should I not get my initials in case I ever get married?), a white layering shirt for spring I feel like, in theory, this is beautiful – essentially if this was a Theory design, I would die for it. But in reality, it will prob be a big old mess, so something similar but a more scaled down, real-life version will do for my office.

7. I cleaned out my mother’s attic last weekend and threw out many memories. But you cant really throw out memories, can you? Just the dusty, old crap that symbolizes your memories. Yup, almost all gone. But I did save a few notes and letters. Its funny to think that when I started school, we were all still writing letters. We didn’t even have email addresses freshman year!

6. It’s quite possibly smores open season tomorrow night. FIRE IT UP BITCHES!

5. I’m back in the jewels business. So if you need any gifts or some spring jewelry, keep me in mind. I love being creative and cant wait to get back to my jewels. I ordered a new shipment of beads and hardware.

4. I seemed to have been in the midst of a severe skin crisis last week but thankfully, it’s mercifully abated. I think I was using one of my new acne fighting products a little bit too liberally and it just destroyed my T-zone. Lesson learned: A little goes a long way in the fight against acne. And also, nothing gets you back in line quite like a mild chemical peel from Kate Somerville.

3. I’ve decided to stop talking about gas prices seeing as I have two peeps in CT who will whoop me if I complain much more about 3.17 a gallon. Sorry, peeps!

2. I’m still wearing my winter coat. Maybe I need to add a spring coat to the shopping list in #8, but here’s the thing: When you cross over from winter to spring/summer… do you really even need a coat? And for some reason, I’ve lived almost my entire adult life without a spring coat. Coincidence? Not really… I think its kind of an oxymoron. Besides, its New England and in a few days, we’re just as likely to see a foot of snow as a 90 degree heat wave. Fucking love this place. LOVE IT.

1. Overheard somewhere out there on Saturday afternoon: “That’s it! Give me your cell phone. I’m calling the STATE POLICE!” “Are you serious?” “Yes, we’re lost, and there’s a thunderstorm right behind us and we’re walking aimlessly around with no civilization in sight and I’m FREAKING OUT! Don’t you have your GPS?” “I used it last week and it didn’t work.” “Perfect.” (endnote: We made it out ok. I did have to call my mom to pick us up though, since we were nowhere near my Jeep, and the spot we initially started hiking. However, we did see a spotted owl out and about back there in the desert and that would have made it all worth it, except for the thundering. Also overhead somewhere out there: “I don’t care if you guys get struck by lightning but if Murphy does, someone’s head will roll, I swear to God!”

Good times.

1 comment:

Leeanne said...

$3.45 today in Longmeadow MA. I almost cried.