So last night, I started to watch the debate and then I got side tracked. Mentally. I mean, I cant even follow what they are saying sometimes. It's like, I'm so sick of the mud slinging and the jabs back and forth that I just cant even watch it anymore. I think I'm done. I know who I'm voting for and its for very outward reasons. I think America needs to be taken seriously in the world again - internationally. And so I know who the best person is for that.
I also think that the joke is on us. Our kids are going to just be swimming in debt. And I guess that's the American way, right? Arent we all - or at least us middle class people - in that same boat? Tell me one person who carries no balance on their credit cards and has a paid off mortgage. Um. No one.
So anyways, with all this belt tightening, I figured I had to be creative in some fall fashion shopping. I need sweaters. I decided that I really did need to buy at least 2 new cardigans this fall. So I found an adorable BB Dakota one and another designer from modcloth.com. Its a really cute, vintage-y style shop so check it out sometime. I bought two sweaters for just over $100 and decided that meant no grocery shopping this week. Which is totally fine because you know what? I bet we all could go a week without grocery shopping and really save some $ right now.
The funny part is that you start to get creative with meals. You eat that can of tuna from last year that oddly enough is still not expired and you bake - a lot. I made apple crisp (I had the apples and all the baking ingredients just hanging around the kitchen) and then I made apple ginger scones. And if you raid your freezer, you would be surprised at all that unused meat that you need to unthaw. And you always have noodles and sauce. And other staples... So really. I am enjoying this week off from the grocery aisles. Of course, I realize this may only work if you are living with your mom, who buys in bulk. I myself never could afford to buy in bulk when Matt and I lived in our apt. So therefore I never had enough food to stretch out the weeks. But this is pretty great...
I also decided instead of spending $3 on that pumpkin latte that I love so much, I'm going to buy a gallon of milk - $3. See? You can make smart choices in these tough times. And it's not too scary. It just means you gotta carve out $ if you spend it somewhere else. Because it does suck to not get any promotions or raises... especially when the cost of everything is rising.
However, it just cost me about $40 to fill up. FILL UP! I almost cried. Almost.
Wednesday, October 08, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment