Friday, October 10, 2008

Winterizing

The thing about winter is that you forget how to “do” winter. Every year, I feel like it’s a surprise when the leaves change and the weather gets cold and I have to let my truck warm up to clear the windshield. It’s like, honestly: surprising.
And it shouldn’t be. Let’s get real. I’ve “done” New England winters for 28 (ahem, 29 soon) and I should be used to it. But why is it still such a shock each October when the warm breeze turns to a bone chilling one and we all start to spend less time outdoors?

Top 10 Things I Forget about Winter

10. That I hate it.

9. That it’s actually, well, COLD. Inside, outside. It’s cold. And it sucks.

8. That all summer long when I said I needed a new winter coat and should have bought one on a very deep discounted sale – I didn’t and now I’m screwed and will probably go an entire year before thinking about it again because the prices are too high now.

7. That the boots that I bought last year are by this time SHREDS of their former selves because I pretty much live in boots from October to March and couldn’t bear to throw them out in April. So, I need new boots. (Plus pointy toes are the ire of my world right now – why did I think they were such a great idea for the past 2 years. Seriously. All my shoes are pointy toes. UGH!)

6. That the days are so short—I can barely keep my eyes open past 8pm when it’s dark by 6:30pm! (Just read online that daylight savings isn’t until November – hmm)

5. That you have to couch in another 5 or so minutes to your morning routine just so you can run out, start your car, run back in, and then head back out – this time for real – all the while wearing a heavy coat and boots and trying to keep the animals all inside.

4. How much your bones ache when you walk outside to walk Murph for those first few minutes and then, it gets worse. You just feel colder and colder even though you are moving. Even though you are wrapped in a cami, long sleeve t, 2 fleece jackets, a scarf, and a puffer coat.

3. Where the hell is my scraper? Do I even have one?

2. Exactly how many layers of clothes one must wear to retain warmth… I will not look cute from now until next June so get used to it. And I will be wearing a sweater with a Hanes v-neck next time you see me so deal with it.

1. SOCKS!!!!!!! (Free people makes very cute, but very pricey socks. But I am thinking about investing in some this year.)

Tell me: What do you forget each year about winter??
And post for me any good pumpkin bread recipes you have... I made one last night and it was terrible.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wait- pointy toes are bad now? what the hell.