Monday, December 15, 2008

Well. The power outage. That is kind of all everyone is talking about these days… but oh wait. NO THEY’RE NOT. Want to know why? Because no one cares what happens in the suburbs! If this was Boston, it would be MAJUH. Alas, we lost power sometime during the night on Thursday. Not knowing the extent of what happened, both M and my mom went to work. My mom was turned around by a state trooper who told her the main road to Worcester was “impassable” and instructed her to turn around. M made it all the way to work – 50 miles away only to find his warehouse was without power. After his trek back we made the risky decision to head south… to Foxwoods. We spent the night at MGM to celebrate JK’s 29th bday party. It was an amazing night… I even won $61 on a slot machine, which was a bonus.

The next day we headed home and stopped to get a generator. Only we were told that there were no generators left on the eastern seaboard… Crazy. So we headed home and stocked up on some canned goods and other supplies on the way back. I’m trying to get a photo to post for you guys… It really looked like some weird alien war zone with glass encased tress and cars. We had to go an alternate longer way home because the main road was impassable again and closed. But we did make it. Only had enough time to restock my mom and head back out towards the way we came for a wedding. Which brings me to my next issue…

I don’t want to get married.

The bride looked so unhappy and weirded out and upset and nervous… I was like, did someone make her get up there??!? Ugh. She looked so miserable… M’s mom was like, you’re next! M even got the garter… but let’s be real for a moment. I almost puked watching it all go down. It was AWFUL. I hated it. I told M’s mom that NO WE ARE NOT GETTING MARRIED BECAUSE HE MISSED THE WINDOW OF MY WILLINGNESS OH ABOUT 5 YEARS AGO.
The whole thing… it just seemed so unnecessary.

And then we headed to sleep the night through at my brother’s GF’s condo in Worcester because they had just gotten power restored. So we went there and watched this amazing Alaskan documentary movie on PBS before falling asleep to the opening monologue of SNL. The next morning we took showers and brushed our teeth – something you take for granted every day and went and ate breakfast, another thing you take for granted – being able to eat. I think I have lost a few pounds. We had to go to M’s nephews bday party that afternoon. We stopped and got him his first snowboard. We figured that was a great gift for a 7 year old. Apparently, his mom, jokingly suggested we should have also prob got a helmet. Good call! But we’re excited for snow now. He was really pumped when he opened it. So we cant wait to take him out on it.

And then we headed home, drained and exhausted, and miserable at the thought of still NO POWER. And obv, we had to watch the Pats game so we went to our friends’ house because they have a generator. They had 2 TVs hooked up and going… and there fridge wasn’t on! WTF!!! I love our friends. Priorities, priorities. Lol. And then, the Pats killed it. However, so did the Jets and the Dolphins. Ugh. But we’ll take what we can get and hope to make the playoffs. I want to see Cassell in the playoffs sooo freakin bad.

After that, I cracked. I straight up CRACKED and cried on the ride home. I couldn’t handle it. The ice everywhere, the trees broken, the demoralization of not being able to shower or eat, using a bucket of water filled up from the stream out back to flush the toilet… and I was starving again and nothing to eat. And we had to go home and cook Chef Borardee on the wood stove. I lost it.

However, as we drove the ride home, we noticed some people had lights on… and we were one of those people! Victory.

The moral of this story is that you never know what you have… until it’s gone. In the darkness.

So therefore, I love you, electricity and hope to never lose you. Til death do us part.

Today’s inside joke: I give you Gallagher.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your breakdown description sounds like the frustration I heard in my mother's voice tonight...they're still out and have no idea when they'll see electricity again. UGH!!!