So.
I'm upset. Primarily. Right now.
I was talking to my sister who said that her & her hubby looked into buying a condo on the beach for $220K. Now, with 20K down, their monthly mortgage topped around $1,800.
Excuse me... but WHAT?
First, let's recap: a CONDO, not a house. Second, 20K DOWN. That is a big chunk of change, right?
$1,800.
How are normal people buying houses? Do they really just live in debt like that, and put up with mortgages close to 2K a month? REALLY? I know of only one couple who does that... their mortgage is $2,200 BUT they are both highly educated folks in the legal and medical fields. Read: they make some bank.
So. What is a normal, average person supposed to do when the American dream and the most amazing dream is to build your own house, live in it with your family, and prosper?
And let's not forget that I paid $3.02 a gallon for gas to fill up which totalled $48 yesterday. That lasts me about 5 days...
I dont know what's going on in the world today. I really dont. I listen to NPR but I dont hear about how elected officials are aware of the declining state of the middle class, the surging fuel rates, and the real no-we're-not-shitting-you threat of global warming.
No one fucking cares.
And to be honest, its, in my opinion... our own fault. We let immigrants flood our country and take advantage of our economic assistance programs. Then, they live off the system, drive their giant SUVs and cars without a license polluting the air by the billions, they dont vote, they dont understand policies, they speak languages other than English in school, thus avoiding an education and so the cycles has gone on... This is a really controversial statement. I dont want to offend anyone.
I just feel like I am an average American girl who, had I lived 25 years ago would have achieved all that by now. And what I'm up against instead, in my pursuit of the American Dream, is the option of not marrying the man I love and qualifying for a low-income housing assistance program in a SHITHOLE like Worcester, if I want to own a home. FUCK THAT. Do you understand the shitty option this is?
WHERE IS THE JUSTICE IN THAT FOR SOMEONE WHO HAS PAID TAXES FOR THE PAST 10 YEARS?
Today's Poll: Who has a solution for the middle class?
Friday, July 21, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
No solutions for you just thoughts. I have discussed with others that the welfare system needs some looking at. It seems odd to me that I work for my money but the people receiving welfare do not. ?????? Something could and should be changed there. To go along with your immigration comments - many say that immigrants take our jobs here but that if they didn't no American would want to do the jobs they do and get paid what they do. What about making the people who receive welfare take those jobs????
Just thoughts and like you I don't want to offend anyone.
I read your blog and I just kept saying 'here, here'. I turn 31 today and back when I was 15 or so I definitely thought I'd have a place of my own by now but unfortunately I'm just 'normal'/middle class, if you will. Back when I dreamt like that it was possible though. Kinda a pisser! But I'm happy with my husband, son and friends so I choose to focus on that.
Enjoy today and everyday. Hopefully we'll see you sometime in the near future.
See my blog for response. It got too long.
See you soon!
Post a Comment