Yesterday I went to a service at a Baptist church. First, let me apologize for this, but I thought Baptist churches were only south of the Mason Dixon line. Second, let me say that it left me a little perplexed.
I certainly respect my family’s religious beliefs and their service was really more uplifting than the typical Catholic, all black, hysterical crying, sadness filled hour that I am used to. But it left me with this weird feeling of… How do people believe so passionately in Jesus and God and all that the bible says? What is it that makes people believe so blindly?
Um. Cuz… no offense to anyone who reads this blog, but I just DON’T. Sure, I think there is a higher meaning, there is energy and SHOOT ME HYPOCRIT but I feel like I would make my kids get baptized and go to CCD and all that. Just because I think it gives a sense of discipline to a family and because you know, WHAT IF they were right... But I don’t believe there is some guy up there with a white beard directing my life. I don’t believe some higher being wrote a bible. I think it’s a lot of allegory thrown into moral tales. Sure, that is still good for society in general. But when you start to throw all your chips in there, are you missing something else?
But you know what? My cousin’s family was amazingly peaceful. They didn’t do the knees buckling crying (not in front of people, anyway) and they kept a smile on their faces. They SMILED. I was really in awe of that power… that power to believe that their brother/son is in a better place. It really made me wonder where it all comes from. And it made me wonder why some people just don’t get it. Do you think people are touched by God or something? Really?
Aaaaaaaaaaah. I’m glad to be back at work, back to normal. And what I realized on Sunday night, after I had gotten home and made (SHOCKER OF ALL SHOCKS) apple crisp… was that I didn’t DREAD going to work on Monday. I actually kinda like it. It’s still weird in the way that I’m still kinda piecing together what I actually DO from other people’s comments on what they are doing and I still can’t figure out who I like. But it’s cool. It’s laid back. It’s academia.
Which reminds me that I need to get on my masters planning. I def feel the procrastination coming on.
Quick Recap on the Wkd: Friday night KILLED it. I had so much fun, which is sad considering all we did was go to the local bar. But its nice to run into peeps that you grew up with and don’t see regularly. Or just peeps from around town who you get to know through other peeps from around town. Though I did hear that someone was straight up fucking in the men’s bathroom. Cmon, people. Have some goddamn class. There is about 12 miles of woods right outside. Ha ha. Don’t act like you never did it.
Today’s Must Do: Get a hair appt. PRONTO.
Today’s sense of New England Pride: THE FUCKING PATRIOTS. God, it makes me teary to think about them. CAN THEY DO IT AGAIN THIS YEAR? YOU FUCKING BET. And K, I’m going to the game against the JETS. Just FYI.
Tuesday, October 31, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
SAVE THE DATE- December 9- Alexia's birthday BLOWOUT. Details to follow.
In other news, as a lapsed Catholic & confirmation class drop-out- I get where you are coming from. Totally and completely.
The people that really believe don't believe that they are blindly believing. They have done the 'soul searching', reading, praying, and have been touched somehow by God. And those that act as if they believe and don't it's only for family which, believe me, never works.
Did this make sense? :)
I went to a Pats game vs. the Jets 2 years ago.. complete with my jets hat, jets mittens, etc. and the friggen pats fans called me GANGREEN! But it should be fun as long as it's not like 39 below. ;) Cant WAIT for the 10th.
Post a Comment