Friday, May 16, 2008

What's it Good For?

Here we are again and it’s Friday. Before my very eyes, just a few hours to go until the weekend and I still have no set plans. Tentative driving range, lawn mowing, some beer in there somewhere, etc. But other than that, nothing. And that’s a good thing. Easing into my new schedule starting next week – 4 - 10 hr days, Fridays off. So goodbye Friday workday and hello 3 day weekends.

Though I don’t expect this to be at all easy. Sure, I’m hoping Friday turns out to be training day, as promised (Melissa!) so that will be a body mass challenge. But it also means having two almost 14 hour days during the week when I have classes. And two 10 hour days on the opposite days could threaten to cut my summer time almost in half. But I’m going to give it the old college try at least. Just to see if it’s possible and at all enjoyable – and to save gas money during what is set to be the most brutal summer yet. Because that’s how I roll. I’ll try anything once – if it includes saving fuel.

Also, this could work to my advantage should BFF do what she’s promised since March and find an assignment in New England. She is set to come home in a few days and so it goes. She also finally found me the perfect tunic and I hope it’s everything I dreamed it would be. Because I’m on a tunic kick for sure. I just bought the cutest all cotton, lightweight blue one from Forever21 last week and it’s sure to be a hit (at least in my own mind). The only thing is I kind of want to wear it with leggings but its too short for leggings. So finding some that either don’t give you the old camel toe appearance or just wearing my skinny as hell BCBG black cotton pants will prob more likely do the trick. In any case, if it would just warm up approx 10 degrees, we’d all be in business. As it is, I have to plan my outfits around wearing at least a sweater and those puff sleeves will not be having that.

I do love this new silhouette though. This new, billowy top, skinny pant, any style shoe imaginable. Its so clever and easy. And it used to be flats only, but no more. There are few restrictions to this look, which I think makes it accessible. In fact, I’m wearing this exact combo right now. So for kicks:

Today’s Outfit: Billowy silk blend tunic with puffed ¾ sleeves with Jackson Pollack style black, yellow, gray, white print with rounded neck. My one size smaller than normal Gap straight legs (for which I need to be in Olympic shape to wear) in very dark wash and my gray BCBG Betsy wrap style pumps. Handmade yellow Swarovski dangly silver earrings and Juicy perfume overload with hair twisted into a half ponytail and secured with two small silver clamps at the base of the neck.

It has to be noted however that I have moved into my “I love being tall phase of life” – FINALLY. In fact, not since 1997 have I loved to be tall, loved to wear heels or platforms, but I’m finally there. I mean, MODELS are this tall. And so when I wear my skinnies with pumps this high, I feel almost like I am required to sashay when I walk down the hall to my office or across the street, just in the same way SJP “struts” in SATC. And I have to credit my CM for that. Girl wears 4 inch heels and rocks them like no one else. I mean, unabashedly wearing 4 inchers when you are flat-footed at least 5’ 9’’ takes some big ones. And I admire it and it’s rubbing off. So thank you!

Today’s Trend I’m perpetuating: The side French braid a la LC. LOVE this. And I get now why she wears one in every damn episode now because it’s an instant, chic headband. I have been wearing one pretty much all week and last week, except today due to the fact I forgot my small elastic. M seems to be the only one who doesn’t get it. I will say he called me Laura Ingalls. But WTF does he know?

Today's Attempts at Trying Something New: I have been occasionally sporting bright fushia lip gloss. It used to upset me at first (why cant I wear anything other than nude?!?! why does this just look soooo wrong?), but now that I've worn it approx. 4-5 times, I'm starting to like it - a little bit. The key really is to only wear the lip gloss and Bare Minerals - i.e., nothing ELSE. Not even a little blush. When you rock something that strong, you have to lay low on everything else or you'll end up looking like a clown face.

Ok - I'm off to a meeting of the minds.

No comments: