Monday, September 08, 2008

All Good Things...

must come to an end. Eventually. I guess it was bound to happen. You cant be #1 forever... Or at least in the top 3 for 7 years and expect to just keep rolling along - up, up, up... We crashed and burned hard last season, and its gonna take some wind out of the golder sails. Our defensive line is OLD (Sorry, I love you Teddy, but you need to retire next year. And Harrison, you're SLOW this year. Accept it.). Our secondary is weak (Buh-bye Samuel, we will miss you... DESPERATELY.). And now our offensive line is pretty much in the trashcan (YES! Matt Cassel FINALLY gets a turn in the spotlight - SARCASM, PEOPLE, voice cracking.).

However, after gaining some perspective overnight, I feel like this is all ok. A torn ACL or anything worse can only serve to remind us all - AHEM, BELLI - that you cannot build an entire NFL team around one player. It just wont work, unless that one player is Batman. Or Ironman. Or Superman... You get the point. Everyone is human. Even Brady.

So folks, I'm glad I didnt purchase my season tickets. That would have been a REAL trashcan moment.

I think this will serve as one of those - "I remember where I was when" moments. I was standing up in front of the TV when I saw a player down and said out loud, to M: "What number is that?" And as the fuzziness cleared, I saw the numbers 1... and then 2... and then I knew. Player down. #12 - definitely know that number. And then, I burst out crying like a baby while M sat there, slightly shocked, slightly amused that I was actually crying.

Then he said it: "Well, there goes the Pats season. I'm getting another beer. You want one?"

And whenever there is shitty news, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. And this light shines superbright and drinks a lot of beer.

BFF is on her way home for a visit later this week. And that's what will get me through next Sunday.

CANT WAIT BFF!!!!!!

No comments: