Today is M's bday! The big 2-9.
So it was funny last night when he was acting like an 8 year old boy the night before Christmas. He wanted me to give him his gifts! I was like, M, cmon. You're 29, relax. You can open them tomorrow.
But you know what? The man wore me down. Seriously. He kept asking and asking... Told me his birthday was the 7th, not the 8th anymore... Finally, I told him. You can open one of your cards. Do you know what that man said? I want to open a present, not a card, Jilllllllllll... ha ha ha... I was like, you have to be kidding me, right? He was serious. So I insisted on the cards and finally told him there was a present in each one.
So he opened the first one: Red Sox tickets. Now, if you came to the art show, you know that I lost the bidding war on the Sox tickets. But what happened yesterday at work was nothing short of a miracle: The Chair of the event, got his company to give me 2 tickets to an Oakland A's game in July on a Sunday afternoon. Effing amazing. I actually cried when he gave me the tickets. The only catch was that I had to pay face value for them because we're not allowed to accept gifts. I wanted them so bad for M's bday and look how it all ended. Wow. So nice of him.
Then M kept on pressuring me... I know these are clothes, Jill... Cant I open some clothes? AHHHHHHHHHH. It was too aggravating so I let him open one box: 2 nice t-shirts and one polo from Old Navy. I thought maybe he would be satisfied. Nope.
After about another 10 minutes... Jill, I might as well open them all.
So I gave him one more box: one navy blue polo and a dress shirt from the Gap. The dress shirt didnt fit. At this point I'm thinking, Fuck it. I will save the two most special things for tomorrow after dinner. So I gave him the final clothes box: khaki shorts with a short sleeve dress shirt and belt. All fit and looked awesome.
But Jilllllllllllllll... I will have to wake you up when I leave so I can open them in the morning. Tomorrow is my birthday... The thought of that was the last straw. I handed him the smallest box: A steel Fossil watch with diamonds. He loved it... but it didnt fit. Does anyone know if you can just go to a jeweler and have him take a link out or something? We couldnt figure out how to do it and we def dont have a screw driver small enough. And we dont want to fuck up this thing.
And then, I gave him the final card since the whole thing was going so well: Roger Waters tickets. He was like, HOLY SHIT. He couldnt believe that one. He was so happy, that it kinda made me teary... it def is better to give than receive. I love more than anything to make him happy.
I also made him pecan raspberry apple crisp, which he liked, but I didnt think was a slam dunk. The apples were too crunchy and the raspberries were too tangy. The pecan topping was awesome, though.
Tonight, I'm making honey lime shrimp kabobs with baked potatoes and a spinach salad. Yum.
Too bad I had a hostile moment at Big Y after grocery shopping for all this stuff. A week ago, my mom and I went to Big Y and she didnt feel like digging through her purse for her card so she just told the cashier her phone number and all was well... she got the discounts. So I figured, since my wallet was stolen a while back and I didnt prioritize the Big Y replacement card, I would just do the same and use my mom's number. Only, the computer was not taking it. So I tried Matts... Nothing. Do you know I almost went over the conveyor belt at that cashier? I practically screamed in her face: THIS IS BULLSHIT. Man, I was so pissed. And at that point, my mom, when I later told her the story, suggested I should have just left right then and there... But that would've meant leaving all my stuff right there as I walked out and then I would've had to go to another grocery store and do it all over again. But that cashier HAS to have her own card she could use... or the 12 people behind me in line. NO ONE OFFERED to let me use their card. NOT ONE PERSON. So I stood there like a crazy person, seething, while the teeny little boxes of rasperries that were 2 for $4 rang up @ $4 EACH. And then I took back (read: threw at the cunt of a cashier) the 2 boxes of strawberries that were buy one get 2 free. WHAT THE FUCK. I was so upset, I was shaking. The thing is, the stuff I bought should have come to like $35 and ended up costing me $52. That shit it just not right.
Today's Lesson in Good Manners: Offer your stupid ass grocery store card to the person in front of you if you'd like to save someone a hostile breakdown.
I took a bike ride yesterday in the rain and it was really refreshing. I love riding with Murph because he will go rain or shine. Unlike the other M in my life. :)
Well, I'm glad its Thursday. The week has been a really long one. I just hope that the rain stops sometime soon. It's getting to be really depressing. No?
Thursday, June 08, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Dude, You are WEAK. But I would have done the same :). Good luck with the dinner! Save leftovers for me!
Dude, pass along that honey-lime shrimp recipe if it comes out good!
Post a Comment