Tuesday, August 29, 2006

TMI?

My laptop at home has been acting up a lot lately. I don’t know what’s up but the MSN homepage variably shuts down when you go to click on the hotmail link, WTF, which is pretty much my only use for the internet.

My work computer is def on the fritz TOO. Its almost a joke at this point. I’ve crashed about 6 times already today. It may actually be more. I just remember that I stopped counting at 6. The weird thing is that we had that tracker installed & that’s when everything went haywire. I dutifully shut mine off every morning when I log in, but still... think this thing has magic powers or something? Like, it knows I shut it off and so it fucks with my flow?

Anywho, a few weeks ago, I get a random email from IT saying that they are working on configuring my new PC. ORLY? When APPOX were they going to bring that over?

I guess it doesn’t matter now that I’m on my way out the door. But I am tasked with trying to erase personal files regardless. Ever been through that process? Like, you’ve saved so much on your work computer and when you leave you realize that you have to either erase it, email it to your personal address, or copy it to a disk. And yea, I say DISK because this computer is from 1990 and doesn’t have a CD burner. Hence, the need to replace it. And I really want to save all my pics. Here’s something funny about that. I saved everything I wanted to keep and condensed it all into one file. I cleaned out a LOT. And I went to put it all on a disk that held 1.44 MB. Imagine my surprise when I realized my file was 100.1 MB. Ha ha. Good one. Please order me appox 100 disks. NOT.

But here’s the rub: I haven’t gotten the offer letter yet. And the cynic in me refuses to give my resignation til I have that shit in my hand and can verify pay and benefits status. Then, I will have some confidence to write up the BUH BYE letter.

And that is gonna hurt. It already hurts. I’ve had a case of diarrhea for like 4 days. And I’m sorry if that offends some of you. I just need to be honest here. I’m so nervous. I’m on the verge of actually giving myself chest pains. Because its hard to leave a good job. Its actually fucking worse than leaving a bad job. Because you don’t want to let go. You don’t want to break your boss’s heart (am I giving myself too much credit here?) even though you know it’s the right thing to do—for YOU.

I took the wkd to think it over and after much consideration, I realized that I needed to step it up. I needed to go back to school to get my masters and I needed to do it now. Because I tend to get comfortable at job. I tend to get used to the internet platime, the 62 minutes lunch break (we get a ½ hour) and the coming in late with no consequences. See? I have a good job. But I still need to let it go.

And so the transition has begun. What I didn’t realize until now is that I have about 2 ½ weeks notice now to give because I’m waiting on the offer sheet. And I read the employee handbook yesterday and noticed that I’m actually required to give 4. Now, first of all, who is in an assistant position and gives 4 weeks notice? And secondly, what to do about it now? Isnt it kinda late? Like, hasn’t that ship sailed? Out of 3 people polled on this dilemma, I have one FOLLOW THE RULES AND GIVE 4 WEEKS PERIOD. And 2 people who are like, Well, you’re leaving them anyway. What difference does a few days really make? Do you really care? Totally. But I will care if they then fuck me over on the $1000 they will owe me for vacation time earned. Can they do that? I don’t know... which is why I have diarrhea. Today’s Poll: What would Jesus do?

Today’s New Product Alert: I have to buy this... (found it on Beauty Addict blog) http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/1649/1521/1600/depuff.jpg

Today’s Guilty Pleasure Report: I watched The Notebook again instead of Proof last Friday and bawled my eyes out. I really love Friday nights by myself.

Today’s Great For You / Shitty For Me: BFF texted me the weather over there in Scottsdale... Get ready. You ready for it? Yea. HI. 104 degrees. Dry heat. Sun. Let’s all sign a collective WTF.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WHAT? You got a new JOB? And you were going to share this info WHEN, exactly?

Anonymous said...

You don't have to give them 4 weeks notice. That's unreasonable. And they can't gyp you out of vacation time. I believe that could be against the law. Well, maybe not that extreme...but you need to get what's due to you. Fuckin A.

I felt the same way when I left Assumption, but seriously, you need to do what's right for you, you need to grow and mature, and you want to get your master's. Boom. This job offers you all three. What can they say to that? Did they expect you to stay in that position forever?

P.S. You need to put hot (active) links in your entries, sista. Copying and pasting is no fun. ;)