Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

“You know what your problem is?? You’re T.O.! There you are, throwing a hissy fit up and down the sidelines when I don’t throw every fucking pass your way!”

Ah, I love relationships. And I love that the fact that M is really good at them. Makes me look like an amateur. Really. I think I’ll have his ass on a platter and then BAM. He gets me. Reads my mind back to me and explains why that’s complete and utter BULLSHIT. He’ll pinpoint my exact actions for the past 48 hours and dissect them and then rip me a new one RIGHTFULLY SO. Why. Seriously. Do I have to be living with Generation Slacker’s answer to Dr. Phil?

This is one of those weeks that M and I are totally and completely in love. The kind of week that would make my single friends throw up and my friends who have heard me say horrible things about him wonder if I’m in fact, two personalities in one! But honestly, do you tell your friends the good stuff about your relationship? Or do you use that time to vent about all the crap he does wrong?

Well, friends. Relationship are like that, I guess. And I’ve started putting my two cents in with my friend who is new to living with her steady boyfriend. She asks for it! You guys in a knock-down drag out fight? You want to kick his ass to Timbuctoo? Sure. No prob. Just take a deep breath outside in the fresh air and do some laundry. By the time you come back, you’ll forget you hate him. He called you WHAT? Yea, well, he sucks and they are all like that. And you love him. So let it go before you get gray hair and wrinkles over it. Its just the way of the world. You know all those fairy tales that say relationships are all honey and roses? Uh. NO. They are hard work. Its like having a second job, but its much more rewarding and you don’t get paid!

Today is like Thursday since I have one more day to go before a long wkd. I’m pumped about Wednesday night because I get to see the girls and drink X Rated Pink Vodka during pregame. (Hi CM!) And then Thursday I get to eat tons of good food. And I get to bake too which never happens. Usually I go to my moms and help her set up and do little things. But this time we are going to M’s sister’s apt and she needs us to do dessert. I’m thinking apple crisp/pie, peach crisp/pie, and choco chip cookies. I will do some combo of all that on Thursday morning which means no hangover for me. I need to be on my game.

Speaking of game, I just paid for the season tickets and let me get this out there: OUCH. And today I’m mulling over purchasing a snowboard. For those of you who don’t know, I ski. I have skied since I was 7 or 8. And I like it. I enjoy going a few times a year. I make M rub my numb toes til they start burning and I keep my mouth shut and I don’t complain about being cold. I wear so many layers I look like a 500 lb carnivore. However, the people I go with all snowboard. So every year I always say I’m going to learn how to snowboard. And I never do. Especially since the brand new skis and snow gear I have bought the past 2 years have easily set me back around $1000. But today M emails me that a co-worker is selling her board and bindings for $250. I think I could offer $200 and buy boots for $120… but the question is: Do I really want to take on another sport? And do I want to spend more money this week?

Because I’m going to admit something here… for the first time. I have a problem. I am a shopaholic. I just spent $150 on Friday and another $100 on Saturday. Is that really necessary? As far as buying a house at this point, I’m much more likely to be living out of a shelter made of fall sweaters and superlong-waisted thin cotton tees. And boots. I bought two awesome new pairs of kitten heel boots. And ski pants. Maybe those will make a nice roof. They are waterproof and insulated. CHRIST. STOP ME. Its just that my whole life I’d rather wear amazing stuff than save money. Or I’d rather buy kayaks or golf clubs or a mountain bike and all the gear required to enjoy the stuff. Even though I know in my heart that is the wrong choice and once I have secured a house, I can do all that stuff. How do you guys do it? How do you resist temptation?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Confessions of a Shopoholic:

First, I cut up my Old Navy Card.
Then, I started writing down all my bills and adding them together. Ask Brian. He's seen the lists.
Whenever I want something, I do that, and it frightens me into submission.
Then, I opened a savings account that CHARGES me if I move money out of it more than twice per month- and I have an automatic deposit into that, into my mortgage account, and into a tax account. So, the money in my checking account is all I can use to pay said bills.
So, in other words, my hands are tied. And i STILL run out of money ALL THE TIME.

About relationships- AMEN to what you said about everything. It is so true. There are weeks when you're like, if you GET into bed with me when I can still make a sentance, I will VOMIT on you, and weeks when you sing show tunes about finding a wonderful guy. They are tons of work. And rewarding.

Anonymous said...

Sorry I have no special secret financial thoughts for you. We, too, are really bad at saving. We start thinking we should save but then we really want to do something and when we tell ourselves we can't we're miserable and talk ourselves into spending the money. Figuring that life is too short to be miserable. :) It's easier for us to save in the winter with Kev working all the time and making more money.
I tried snowboarding for 4 years in a row. Hated it. I LOVE the idea of it but my body just wouldn't do it. Got on skis when I finally realized boarding wasn't for me and have loved every minute of it. Now that I've skied for 4 years I would try snowboarding again but I wouldn't jump into owning a board until I knew I liked it and could do it.
And........
Relationships are work. And like work, I don't know anybody that's liked EVERY part of their job. But it's really great finding one that doesn't completely suck. Humor and humility are a must.
Can't wait to see you. :)